How to Choose Trekking Poles?
How to correctly choose trekking poles for Nordic walking? What aspects are imortant to focus on?
Some beginners think that it doesn’t matter what poles you have and that you can simply use skiing or running poles. These are, however, completely unsuitable for Nordic walking. For this purpose, special trekking poles have been developed:
- Trekking poles have a special grip and strap.
- They are usually adapted for each hand.
- Trekking poles have several detachable tips for various terrains.
- Trekking poles are usually made of special lightweight materials, most often aluminium or carbon.
- Trekking poles are usually telescopic – two-piece or three-piece (this is practical, since they can be folded to fit into your bag).
- The trekking pole length is in most cases adjustable. You can calculate the optimum length by multiplying your height by 0.68. Ideally, when placing the tip of the pole on the ground, your elbows should be at right angles.
- Trekking poles often come with shock absorbers – they protect your joints by absorbing impacts.